Monday, October 10, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving/Columbus Day to everyone!

Holiday weekends are often stressful for eating disordered individuals, that is a fact. There is food everywhere, food that often seems overwhelming, and for some may trigger a binge. There are lots of expectations, and relatives that you haven’t seen for a while. This is where, at least in my family, you have to pretend that you like and actually want to spend an entire day with everyone you are related to. It doesn’t always go well, but it doesn’t have to be an unqualified disaster, either.

Right now my small condo smells like pumpkin cheesecake (for which our dear Kat was an inspiration) and fudge brownies, deserts for the two separate family meals that a divorce necessitates. Am I looking forward to the festivities? No, not really. At this moment, I’m sad that my family has all grown up and we are all moving in slightly separate directions, while at the same time needing to see the extended family that didn’t support us through all of this.

But that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the day. So here it is. Today, I am thankful that I have family to disagree with, that I have food to be afraid of, and that I am healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...