Wednesday, October 12, 2011

with discomfort comes growth

hSo I've spent the past 5 or so days in the woods. I sort of used this time to recenter myself and it sort of worked in the manner of food intake. I had to do genuine planning to be able to eat where I was and consequently I had meals for each day. Each meal was pre-packed, pre-portioned, and appropriated for a certain day and time. Everything got eaten. I highly recommend this strategy by the way.

I'm not saying no behaviors happened, but food intake was definitely better and more consistent than it has been in quite some time.

However, I also used the time in the woods as an excuse to avoid something with regards to DBT. Coaching calls.

Oh coaching calls.

I've mentioned them on here before... and I truly do understand their link to DBT (at least a lot better now than I did just a week or two ago). The problem is I can't seem to get myself to admit I'm having a problem in the moment.

I like to think I'm a fairly honest person. If I engage in a behavior, I won't lie to you about it... I'll tell you that I did it. Even if there's no chance you'd know for sure one way or another, if you ask... I'll be upfront.

It is an entirely different matter though to tell someone prior to me engaging in the act. Part embarrassment, but that's not the entire reason... What's the whole reason? I'm not 100% certain.

I was talking with Dani about this block and aversion I seem to have and we basically came up with the conclusion that I just need to suck it up. That with discomfort comes growth... Discomfort is just temporary though in my experience... I need to keep reminding myself of that and do what I need to do. Just like urges (which are discomforting in their own way)... discomfort itself never lasts forever.

sort of like when my puppy attacked me to try to get my apple... 
the discomfort involved didn't last... she succeeded by the way

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I have two very uncomfortable situations to tackle, but they could very well lead to growth...sometimes it's hard to think of them that way though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...