Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Our Bodies Are Simply Amazing!


I saw my heart today. I witnessed the blood pumping in, out and around it. I saw all the tiny little vessels that surround it. I saw it beating, beating for me….


From the moment it began beating until the moment it ends, this tiny, yet incredible little organ is working tirelessly to keep my body going. And today made me realise it’s been working overtime…



Don’t worry, I’ve not lost the plot or joined some crazy vampire cult!



I had an ultrasound of my heart done today to ensure everything is all right. I’m not overly worried as I’m told its just precaution and I’m happy that I am lucky enough to receive this level of care.



But as I was lying there, in this cold yet strangely familiar room, I began to get quite emotional. The nurse performing the ultrasound was lovely, so sweet and gentle (even if she was rubbing cold gel on me!) But I felt very exposed and teary.



The reason I was feeling this way is it made me realise just how amazing our bodies are. How strong yet vulnerable and delicate. And just how important it is to look after them. And I certainly haven't been doing so with mine.


It may sound cliché’ but our bodies really are a temple.



I’ll be honest; I am terrified at times about the damage I may have done to mine. Although, thankfully, with each new test I have I am reassured it’s not too late. But only if I continue to move forward and not give in to my eating disorder once more. And only with the help of medical and psychological monitoring and support.



No longer can I ‘take a chance’ or ‘play with fire’…



The fact is, we only have one body. One life. One shot at this. Life is not a dress rehearsal and we are not given a second chance.



Yes, I have put my body through hell but enough is enough. It’s time to start looking after the incredible vehicle I have been given, allow it to heal, and become fully healthy so it can help me on my way to the life that I deserve once more.



Our bodies are simply amazing and beautiful.



They need for us to nourish, protect and respect them.

Learn to love them once more if you, like I, have forgotten how.



They are tough but there is only so much they can take so don’t push yours…


Feed it, care for it, have fun with it, listen to it, give it plenty of rest and above all….


Cherish it….


This is my Commitment to mine. Make one to your own.



With Much Love, Smiles & Support



Hanna xxx


The Human body is the best picture of the human soul~ Ludwig Wittgenstein


~

If anything is sacred, the human body is sacred~ Walt Whitman





3 comments:

  1. I love this! I started to tear up as well just reading this. Today I got diagnosed with osteoporosis, at age 19. I am doing well, but the damage has been done. Time to fight back and know that not all is lost, but it CAN BE. No more! Great post girl. Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen.

    Thank you so much for your comment.

    I am so sorry to hear about your diagnoses yet glad to hear you are coping & doing well. You are so right, it can all be lost unless we fight back,

    I'm with you! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our bodies are simply amazing, and we owe it to ourselves to take care of them. I had one of these heart ultrasounds before, and they are so cool! But thinking about it in this way makes it even better :) The beauty of the body working in it's simple yet so complex way, it is absolutely amazing!

    Let's take care of our bodies :]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...