Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Who Am I Without My Eating Disorder?


Whether you’ve existed with your eating disorder for many, many years or just a few months, it can become your identity; it’s all you know. And maybe it’s also all others have known too. You and your eating disorder, your eating disorder and you. So, when you’ve made the decision to recover, the question that is often asked is ‘Who am I without my eating disorder?’…


I know it is something that often crosses my thoughts. And I’ve been giving it a considerable amount of thought of late. It can be very daunting and scary.


And of course, I don’t know the answer yet as to exactly how I will be once recovered but I do know that I am not my eating disorder. I am loving. I am caring. I am talented. I am giving. I am creative. I am loyal. I am strong. I am Hanna.

And as for how life will be? Well, anything is better than life as it has been. I cannot see into the future but I know it will be brighter. It will be happier. It will be healthier. There will be laughter, healing, fun and success- in every sense of the word. There will be love and there will be light.

Can you relate to this?

Ask yourself this; who do you want to be? You see, I believe when you are free from your eating disorder; you can be anyone you want to be! And that is exciting. Scary? Yes but invigorating too!

You don’t have to ‘be anything’ you don’t want to be. You are you and you are beautiful. You do not have to conform to any ones idea of who you were before your eating disorder or who they expect you will be. The beauty of any kind of healing is self-growth and discovery.

Many may ‘cling’ to their eating disorder through fear of finding the ‘real them’; don’t let that be you. Broaden your horizons, explore, enjoy, spread your wings and fly. Take each day as it comes and find time to get to know yourself again.

The relationship we have with ourselves is the most important one we shall ever form. Treasure it.

So who are we without our eating disorders? You are you and I am me and we are amazing; just as we are.

I leave you with a video that someone sent to me once. Beautiful song, powerfully written & inspiring. I’ve also included a couple of quotes by Dr Seuss , the American children’s writer cartoonist & all round fab guy :o)

With Much Love, Smiles & Support

Hanna x




Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you~ Dr Seuss

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those that matter don’t mind ~ Dr Seuss







2 comments:

  1. wow. This is sooo relatable and I'm so glad i took the time to read it. Thankyou so much for addressing something that's been really worrying me. I'm me and that should be all that matters. Thanks for such inspiring words :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog really touched me, thankyou.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...